Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Breakfast of the Foodless

This morning I woke up feeling bright and shiny and new. Well, I'd have felt better if I had woken up earlier.
I am generally an early morning person, but with Toby being a night owl and most of the shows that we film taking place between the hours of 9 pm and 2 am, it's hard for me to keep that schedule, even though it is definitely how I function best.
But this morning, I think I have the placebo effect of the new diet. I felt full of energy, mentally ready to go. Granted, I didn't want to leave the house because - hey! It's winter out there! Winter it may be, but sunny and cloudless it is also. My room is set on the third story of the house and I have large window on two of my walls, putting me at a look out point in the bare trees. I love this spot. I watch the squirrels, monitor the seasons from here, and my all time favorite: I watch the snow collect on the branches.
So today, when I got up, I just looked at the naked, snowless branches and enjoyed.
I made us some breakfast, which was a little bit easier than I had thought. Toby is a meatetarian. I am a pescetarian, meaning I only eat fish in the way of animal flesh. Not only is Toby a carnivore  but he is very American about it. He wants his burger with melted cheese and bacon. Chicken's a vegetable right? Okay, he's not that bad. But he definitely has the American diet in mind when he thinks of food: processed, meaty, creamy, bready.
So when I suggested an omelet this morning with onion and zucchini, I was very surprised when he agreed without wincing.
In all fairness, he has gotten better since we've been dating. He is a little bit more adventurous with his food, and is a little bit more willing to trust me. I don't think he's become accustomed to the complete lack of salt I add to anything, but give it time and he will.
This morning, like I said, I made omelets for us. I used coconut oil to slick the pans, then fried some white onion, garlic, leek and zucchini. In a bowl I mixed six eggs for us and added some dill, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder. In the second, smaller pan i dumped out half the season egg and waited for it to cook. I didn't cook the vegetables for as long as I normally would as I knew they'd continue to cook in the hot egg. We had some soy mozzarella which I added to give it the cheesiness that all omelets need.
It was good. I had mine with a dollop of soy sour cream (which I highly recommend. It's delicious). However, my egg was a little too runny on the inside for my liking, but Toby's came out just right. At least one of them did.
Omelets are fairly new to me. I'm not generally a fan of eggs. I'm learning to add seasoning to them to make them tastier, but generally I have a very British approach to eggs: I want them fried and on something. So not only making an omelet is new to me, but the entirety of the learning process has been interesting. I first started when I had a little bit of chili I didn't quite know what to do with. It wasn't enough for a meal but all I had otherwise was eggs. So I made a chili omelet - and by the way, I make the best non-spice vegetarian chili ever...Not to gloat or anything, mind you.

That is breakfast done. Well, breakfast at lunch time that is. By the time I'm ready to eat again I'll be heading off to work. Toby is going south to do some work with his mom and begin filing the company's taxes, or at least organizing them. That is leaving me the afternoon to do what I love to do: write.
I might just figure out what to make for dinner tomorrow as well. Perhaps fish might be in order. I do make a mean tuna steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment