Friday, January 4, 2013

Oops...

Today was a crazy rush. At the last minute, I was able to acquire a spare shift starting an hour after my last one ended. I used this time to rush home, grab rent checks, dash off to pay rent, get some food to eat in time to return to work. It worked. I went to the Co-op and got my favorite: Tofu Cutlet. They're delicious, and perfectly prepared, and it really is a treat as to when I can actually get to the Co-op to indulge.
I bit down and it was tasty and juicy, but not soft. It was the perfect firmness and everything I wanted in tofu...except these annoying crumbling bits which kept falling off and making a mess while I was trying to drive. What are these tiny nuggets of annoyance when I'm trying to focus on the road? Inconsiderate crumbs! Then it occurred to me that these crumbs represented the external seasoning. I began to wonder what it was which made them cake on to the outside in this crust-like manner. Then it dawned on me with a heartbreaking realization: It is probably wheat related.
When I was able to park - okay - when I was at a red light - I quickly sifted through the ingredients. Spelt and Barley flour were used in the making of this. I knew there were some sporadic grains which don't contain gluten, but are barley and spelt a part of that elite group? Unfortunately, I was one my way to work with a busier work load awaiting for me upon my arrival, so I could only attempt at divining that they were in fact a part of this secluded grain crew.
As soon as I entered the house and put down my bags, I searched the answer.
They did in fact contain gluten.
If I had large, animal-like ears, they would have drooped disappointingly, and perhaps a sign would have escaped, to add to the sad puppy experience.
I had done so well! Catching myself before the delicious scone! Being so attentive to everything I created and used as ingredients. I was so terribly let down by my hurried self which hadn't even bothered to inquire as to what made the tofu so perfectly flavorful.

This was the first upset in plans, and the last. No mistake is worth having if there was nothing to be learned from it. I learned vigilance with this mistake, and I plan on putting what I have learned to practice.

I enjoyed a girl's night out tonight. I however ran out of steam long before any one else, which was just as well as I need to work in the morning any how. As my very kind lift was smoking her cigarette, i interjected myself in a conversation which was happening on the corner of the block.
Now, a quick word about our location. We live in this truly amazing city by the name of Bellingham, in Washington State. Bellingham is a hippy town, and has been compared as a mini Portland, or a mini San Francisco. But of course, with all cities which grow in popularity, bad areas bloom. The corner which had the business we had decide to support this evening was known for bums sleeping on it, drunken folk, those which dabbled in the realms of harsher drugs and their additions which follow. They were harmless. Sure the cops were called on them from time to time, but out of all my many years in this town, not once have they caused me personally any problem or concern.
Now, back to this conversation I had inserted myself into. I heard a voice say my name, and I looked over to see a taller, matured, and sickeningly thin friend from my high school days, welcoming a hug from me. His face was distorted, and he couldn't sit still. He was tweaking.
I can't dismiss people due to their problems. If you have earned yourself into my good books, there you remain. I couldn't help myself, I pried as much as I could in my short time with him. He briefly mentioned he had problems which weren't the "fire water" as he jokingly put it as he passed a water bottle around to his friends. I could certainly see that. His problems boiled down to one: meth.
It was so heartbreaking to see some one so overtaken by this drug. I have known a fair few who had dabbled, been addicted, but fought their way out and have lived amazingly. But, until that moment, I had been charmed enough in my life to have avoided childhood friends and classmates succumbing to this state.
I didn't have time to go any further in discussion with him. As we parted ways I hugged him, took him by the shoulders, tried as best as I could to look him in the eye and say, "Be well friend, be well." Whether or not it got through to him is beyond me, though I can only hope.
It made me grateful, grateful and sad. The only problems I had to worry about today was if I was going to get enough hours at work this week to keep my qualifications for insurance, getting to pay rent on time, and that I accidentally consumed gluten from the extremely expensive local hippie grocery store down the road.
This experience put it all in perspective for me, made me realize how blessed of a life I have lead. It is so easy to forget that, and I am grateful for the opportunity to see that, though so deeply hurt by the experience at the same time.
Sometimes we just need to be humbled. It was my turn tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment