Monday, January 7, 2013

Soy

I'm concerned.
As a vegetarian, and a vegetarian for four years now, I consume a lot of soy. As mentioned before I went off milk a long while back, about the same time I went off meat. I made the switch to soy, and from there rice milk and almond milk and so on. I love miso soup, and I enjoy tofu as long as I'm not the one cooking it. I never did get that one down.
However, soy provides calcium and protein, to supplement what I don't get from animals or their milk, so it is quite beneficial too me, plus it's tasty and is thicker than rice or almond milk.
Since I've gone gluten and dairy free, I have been consuming soy sour cream, soy cheese, more soy milk as a whole as it's been on sale more, more tofu when I eat out (Pho, Japanese and Thai food are excellent for any restrictive diet, and are also plentiful with their soy-based foods that are offered).
My hand, which I am using to base my body's reaction to the dietary changes, has been getting worse. I am getting to have daily itching fits which I have no control over whatsoever, and it's more than once a day as well. If you will remember, that was one of the reasons I started this, was due to the rash which has broken out on my hand, the severe eczema it has morphed into and has not gone away since the first inklings of cold weather to come.
Now, this can be one of two things:
1. I am in fact eliminating the bad stuff from my diet and this is the last of the toxins pushing its way out, and that's why it's so bad - it's got to get worse before it gets better, the way of any detox.
2. I am allergic to soy, and soy is the culprit.
The former is what I am hoping for for many reasons - the obvious of course that I am getting better, and that my body is forgiving me for my cock-ups such as the wheat-seasoned tofu and the accidental beer incident. That would be nice. Plus - I love, love, love, LOVE soy. I don't know that I can give that up. I could be making this up but soy is in way more than dairy or gluten is in. There is a good chance that is incorrect, but I do see it an awful lot in ingredients, in some form or another.
I am too hippie to be allergic to tofu! I can give up wheat no problem, I give up milk - save the utters! But I cannot give up tofu! I shall not succumb to the likes of "fauxfu - for the tofu intolerant" (From King of the Hill, when Hank is constipated)! It shan't be borne!

Just as a side note about this entry, it's 5:30 in the morning and I haven't slept yet, since I am working an over night shift and am just killing some time between rounds. So, should this entry be just a little off, there is my excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment